An ever infuriating Capriles may need a 12 step jig

These days I really do not know what to think of Capriles.  An example is him granting an interview to Panorama, the pro Chavez newspaper of Maracaibo, whose biased questions right there give you a cue. I suppose Capriles is right to speak to any media but he should measure the consequences as Panorama titled the interview, for all practical purposes, "no unity inside opposition". Local chavistas beamed, I am sure.


That was already bad enough though not damaging: what was downright stupid was to pick on Diego Arria while unprovoked into. Even more, Capriles went to count Arria's tweets....  I mean, if Capriles is such a leader, why should he lower himself to count the tweets of someone he clearly despises? Is that "statesman" like?

I suppose Diego Arria hit a nerve in him. After all, he is certainly the more consistently vocal and outspoken opposition leader even if he got only a little bit over 100,000 votes in the primaries one year ago. That Capriles feels the need to remind the Panorama journalist that together with Perez he got then 94% of the vote is not a sign of self confidence, if you ask me.  Actually, it is not even a sign of self confidence that he will be the Unidad candidate.....

But if Capriles keeps disappointing me by his poor sense of timing, apparently being little more than a campaign machine where he excels, mercifully, it may not matter much in the end. The Unidad/MUD revived today and offer a 12 step program (I kid you not). The 23 de enero celebration of the MUD was a powerful way to relaunch its comatose self and Aveledo gave a good, encouraging speech which in addition of offering what is in reality a transition program, also assured us that the next candidate of the MUD to face Maduro will be swiftly chosen by consensus. No details on that but from what different leaders were saying in recent days it seems that they mean it.

I do not know if this is good for Capriles candidacy but at least it is good for us in that Primero Justicia will lose the direction of the next electoral campaign and that it will a more unitary effort from all the parties involved. In short, if Capriles is again the candidate at least he will have an improvement through a 12 step program...  (sorry, I could not resist!)